Last night I attended a fantastic book launch party for Erik Qualman’s new book Digital Leader thanks to Brickfish who hosted the event and Social Media Club who helped them promote it. Eric’s book gives simple, practical keys to find success in this fast paced digital world we live in. Eric spoke and gave us a sneak peek into the tips in his book. What I loved most about the tips when beyond the typical, “gee, I already knew that observations” you typically get in a book and went into factual information and actionable tips. Here are a few of my favorites from the night (in 140 characters or less of course):
1. Focus more on output than input. Make a list of 5 things you want to accomplish and get them done.
2. If you hang with the right people, they will bring you up.
3. Stay away from the wrong people because they will bring you down. (I soooo need to start ignoring the haters and jealous ones…)
4. Most people spend 2.5 hours a day on interruptions. (my guess is that I spend 5 hours a day on interruptions! How much time do you spend on them?)
5. It takes 25 minutes for each interruption to get back on track.
6. Multitasking is worse for the brain than smoking pot. Try to focus on one thing at a time.
7. In 140 characters decide what you want your grand kids to hear about you, act accordingly.
I can’t wait to dig into the book this weekend. If you want your own copy, head on over to Amazon.
With that, I’m going to unplug for a bit, make my list of 5 things to do for the day and hit it!